Working with Foam

 

The prompt of this project was to create an abstract 3D object made of insulation foam covered in plaster. I drew inspiration from the artist Ben Pedersen’s piece Soft Time Travel. He created a mushroom-like shape of clay and wood. This inspired my organic mushroom looking shape in my sculpture. After seeing his piece, I took the inspiration and ran with it. In my sketches, you can see how the idea evolved into its own thing. It became a mushroom cap with a strong base that resembles the trunk of a tree that sits in a bowl. Hanging off of the mushroom cap are more pieces of plaster foam meant to resemble crystals. I used gouache paint to add color to it. I chose gouache because of the watery and light color tendencies that it has. The light colors go along with the ethereal, nature, fairy-esque theme I was going for when I thought up the piece. I am in love with the way this piece turned out, especially the crystals that hang from underneath the tree.I feel like the vision was executed perfectly from my sketch.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Group Project Sculpture 2

Project 1

Project 2